Re: NANFA-L-- Fish Kill- Anyone have any ideas?

njz (njz-in-clevelandmetroparks.com)
Sun, 15 May 2005 23:34:26 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C559A6.A197F1E0

Are you using the Crail-pound-the-tank-with-food system? Deep sand bed? =
Any live plants or algae? Did this primarily happen-in-night, or early =
in the morning? My thoughts are that there might have been O2 issues. =
Lots of detritus in the lots of sand with the higher temps can easily =
cause a not so lots of oxygen problem. Too high of a BOD?

Nick Zarlinga

"If we ignore nature.....maybe it'll go away."

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Jeff Grabarkiewicz=20
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org=20
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2005 7:42 PM
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Fish Kill- Anyone have any ideas?

No, it wasn't selective in anyway. I took out a mixture of madtoms, =
darters, shiners, etc. And they are still alive in coolers. Something =
literally ripped through the tank and took everything else out in the =
span of 24-48 hours... =20

So some type of poisoning?=20

Mysteryman <bestfish-in-alaweb.com> wrote:
Jeff Grabarkiewicz wrote:=20
Hello all:

This past day, my 40-gallon tank underwent a massive fish kill. I =
lost just about everything, except those I managed to put into a bucket =
before they were spent. I've had this tank up for about 1 year, and =
have had very few mortalities. It was a major bummer since the =
community was a result of collecting in 6 states.

When trying to diagnose the problem, I'm really-in-a loss. The =
water chemistry was fine. The tank has heated up slightly due to the =
changing weather and heat kicked out by my dehumidifier in the =
basement, however, it never did reach over 72 degrees. I had added a =
2nd outside power filter about three days ago, so the thought was stray =
voltage might have been an issue...however, I shut everything down and =
didn't see any recovery...Perhaps they were too far gone-in-the point. =
I had also added three, what appeared to be healthy fish on Sunday.

Could this be some type of bacterial issue? I didn't see any =
outward signs, and the coordinated death makes me think no. I lost =
probably 20 fish last night alone. In addition, the 10 or so fish that =
I salvaged and transferred to a bucket look OK today. I should mention =
that the bucket was filled with slightly aged tap water, not tank water. =
All these things again make me think possibly stray voltage...or some =
type of poisoning. =20

The fishes symptoms were very heavy breathing and loss of =
equilibrium. .

Any ideas or input?

Bummed out in Michigan,

Jeff

Yahoo! Mail - 250MB free storage. Do more. Manage less.=20
I would have gone with poisoning if you hadn't added 3 fish just =
before this happened.

Stray voltage doesn't really work that way. You could always test =
for it very easily by putting a hand in the tank. Make sure one finger =
has a tiny little cut on it and dip it in with the filter unplugged. You =
shouldn't feel anything. Then plug it in and repeat. If you have stray =
voltage you'll feel it in the cut, which is very sensitive. I should =
point out, though, that in freshwater stray voltage shouldn't be the =
problem it is in saltwater, and even if it was the problem, you would =
have seen the fish all acting weird and avoiding the filter area. =
Unplugging/plugging in while observing the fish should tell you if they =
feel anything.

Disease would have been my first guess, since you added 3 fish right =
! before the trouble started, and the temp increased, but their recovery =
in the bucket of new water suggests otherwise. So, I guess we're back to =
poisoning, unless:

The fish which died and the ones that lived--- any similarities or =
differences in the groups? That is, did all the shiners die while the =
stonerollers lived, the sunfish died while the catfish are fine, that =
sort of thing?=20

Make Yahoo! your home page
------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C559A6.A197F1E0

Are you using the Crail-pound-the-tank-with-food system?  Deep = sand=20 bed?  Any live plants or algae?  Did this primarily = happen at=20 night, or early in the morning?  My thoughts are that there might = have been=20 O2 issues.  Lots of detritus in the lots of = sand with the=20 higher temps can easily cause a not so lots of oxygen problem.  Too = high of=20 a BOD?