Re: NANFA-L-- Fish Kill- Anyone have any ideas?

James Smith (jbosmith-in-gmail.com)
Mon, 16 May 2005 10:23:58 -0400

Until you figure out what caused the problem, do large, frequent
(daily or more) water changes, and add carbon to your filters. Make
sure you keep the carbon fresh and it'll remove an amazing array of
bad things from your water from excess chlorine to lysol.

While it's hard to diagnose the problem without knowing more about
your fish care regime, such as how often and how much water you
change, how you treat it, etc, I would lean towards something in the
water instead of a bacterial thing, just because the fish you put in
the bucket got better right off.

How do you treat the water you put in your tank? I've known people who
just let the water age in buckets to let the chlorine evaporate and
lost their fish when the water company changed to chloramines. I
advise people to always treat for chloramines no matter which they
have, just to be safe. In my opinion, Prime by Seachem is one of the
best products on the market for getting your water ready. It removes
chlorines and chloramines, bonds ammonia and heavy metals, and in a
pinch can be used-in-high doses to remove nitrites. I avoided it for a
while because it smells strongly of sulfer which I didn't like, but
then a heavy metal spike killed off a couple hundred apple snails...
that smelled much worse!

If it were stray voltage, which I don't think it is, you can easily
eliminate it by putting a ground probe in the tank and grounding it
right to a water pipe or your home electrical system.

Is there anything close to the tank that may have gotten in? I had a
friend who kept her tanks of prized guppy males in her bedroom,
sprayed the air with an air freshener thing, and that was the end of
their prize winning. Using cleaners to clean the glass of your tank
can cause a similar problem.

It would help a lot if you could let us know how you keep your tank,
what you feed, how often, info on water changes, what you add, etc.

Thanks,
Jim