RE: NANFA-L-- Re: Chinese Sturgeon on AquaBid

Dustin Smith (dsmith73-in-hotmail.com)
Wed, 10 May 2006 19:01:35 -0400

Thanks Nick. I totally agree with what you have stated.

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree

----Original Message Follows----
From: njz-in-clevelandmetroparks.com
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Re: Chinese Sturgeon on AquaBid
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 17:21:21 -0400 (EDT)

Dustin, the thing that got me on this was that there is no reasonable way
for anyone to be able to humanely keep this fish for any length of time.
The fact that an animal is considered endangered or not does factor into
it, however that is just a designation that is often times nebulous and
arguable in many cases. What is not arguable is that this animal will
outgrow virtually any system that a hobbyist can have. I get calls all
the time from people trying to find a good home for their overgrown fish.
Some I can accept but most I do not. So when I see a person selling such
a unique animal, coupled with the fact that the seller is using the fact
that it is rare and endangered, along with the fact that it is illegal to
posess an endangered species with out the proper permits, that will push
my button every time. The other species that you and others have
mentioned are perfectly suited to being kept in average size enclosures.
If there is some legal way for them to be kept by hobbyists, then I have
no issues with it.

And for those interested, the USFW usually does not destroy animals that
are confiscated. Often times they do work with public aquariums to try to
find suitable houseing for the animal. Often times there are too many
animals in a shipment for institutions to accept and some of the animals
do get destroyed. I strongly suspect that if this animal were to be
confiscated, it would end up in a suitable institution.

Nick Zarlinga
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo

> ""I believe that if your intent was to "impersonate" a US Customs Agent,
> you
> could
> go to jail for that.""
>
> I had not commented on this earlier but Michael makes a very good point.
> Which is worse here, the selling of a somewhat suspect fish that may or
> may
> not be the fish that is is purported to be or impersonating a federal law
> enforcement agent. I can tell you which one would garner the larger fine
> and most jail time and it has nothing to do with fish. I believe that is
> USF&WS have been contacted then they can handle things as they see fit.
> There is no need for this type of behavior.
>
> Again, I am curious as to why this fish has pushed so many people's
> buttons
> when so many fish with a similar status are sold every day and never a
> peep
> before?
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about
NANFA,