RE: NANFA-L-- BLOOD WORMS AND ALLERGIES!

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Sat, 27 May 2006 09:46:58 -0400

Rob,

I react in this manner to bloodworms, brine and krill. I also now react this
way to peel and eat shrimp (how much does that suck?). At first it's just
itchy and swollen skin, then it'll progress to exczema, and as others have
mentioned... It supposedly can lead to an anaphylactic shock reaction, such as
when severly sensitized people get a bee sting and stop breathing. I'm not
aware of a specific case where this actually happened from contact with foods.

I use turkey basters to mix during thawing, facilitate drainage with a net,
and use the basters to do any "touch up" work after I've dumped it. If that's
not enough to avoid skin contact, wear latex or rubber gloves and keep your
fingers out of your eyes and mouth (the gloves will help you do that ;).

Todd
The Bubble Boy Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com