Re: NANFA-L-- NJ pine barrens collecting

Michael Lucas (psalm119.111-in-gmail.com)
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 18:22:38 -0500

It was a great trip, met up with Bill Hodgekiss and showed him a good
brackish site much closer to his home then the spot he usually goes. The
weather was superb but the water had really cooled off already and though we
got some great fish we had to work much harder then normal in the
summertime. But we got some Sheepshead Killies, Mummichugs, Banded
Topminnows, Rainwater Killies (not as colorful as the southern ones),
Silversides, 3 spine sticklebacks and a few little stone crabs. At lake
Horicon we dipped and seined along the undercut banks for an hour and could
not find a single Blackbanded Sunfish and alond the beach area where there
is usually masses of plants ... no plants no fish. We did get Banded
Sunnies, Pirate Perch, Swamp darters and two Mud sunfish. Feeling somewhat
dissappointed I went up to a point and dipped into some weedbeds that were
starting to rot away and finally got a Blackbanded Sunny after another forty
minutes I had just enough quarter size Blackbandeds whew! Bill headed off at
this point and I headed NW to a small stream for some very nice Bluespots
and one pickeral ( not sure what kind yet , haven't had time to really check
him out though-in-first glance I don't think its a Red Fin).

I then drove 4.25 hrs home and only have lost one Silverside and a tiny
Stone Crab. So all in all it was excellent. Meeting Bill was great and we
met a guy that owns a marina who watched us-in-the brackish site. he gave us
his business card and invited us back in the summer and he'd take us out to
some salt marsh spots in his flatboat where he's gotten some neat marine
fish, sea horses and octipus.

I did get a pickeral but not sure if its a redfin got to take a closer look.

Mike Lucas