Re: NANFA-L-- President Bush, Electrical Barriers,and Asian Carps

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- President Bush, Electrical Barriers,and Asian Carps
dlmcneely at lunet.edu
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 16:38:10 CDT

Snailcollector, you confuse me with your statement concerning the Corps of Engineers' plans to replace their aging electrical barrier to fish migration in the Chicago Canal. Their might be (or might not be) reasons that an environmental advocacy group would oppose such an action. But it is not obvious to me that the Sierra Club would oppose this, any more than it is obvious to me that the Sierra Club would support it. I suspect that if the matter were brought to the Sierra Club leadership for consideration, it would be referred to an environmental committee, which would examine the pros and cons from a scientific and from a political perspective, including having scientists and activists look at relevant data and publications. Then the club might take a position. I really doubt that it would take a position until such process was complete.

However, I am confident that had the Sierra Club had the opportunity to consider the matter at the time the canal was planned, it would have reached the conclusion that the canal itself was bad public action. However, at that time, the club was just a bunch of California folks who liked to hike in the mountains and wanted to preserve them for posterity. Matters outside of California didn't come to its attention.

Now, as to whether I or you would agree with whatever position the club took, that is another matter. Some folks just naturally are against anything that certain groups are for. Others take a more reasoned approach.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely at lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"