Re: NANFA-L-- Review of Suckers in North America

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Review of Suckers in North America
From: Irate Mormon (archimedes at bayspringstel.net)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 18:30:45 CDT

Quoting "Crail, Todd" <farmertodd at buckeye-express.com>:

> It certainly is a bunch of of factors to monitor. Some of my good friends
> here are studying the genetics of invasive exotics in the Great Lakes... It
> will be interesting to see what emerges from their studies concerning how an
> "invasion" genetically works.

Yes, it does appear that invasive species don't suffer much from the lack of
genetic diversity. I wonder if you were to compare the genetic diversity of
early generations to later generations, whether the results would be close or
identical, or whether you would actually find MORE diversity over a few
generations. Moreover, if you found that such a population had sprouted new
genetic material, whether those same genes would be found in other populations
which are isolated from the first one.

Sorry, this thread is wandering a bit and I guess I should think about shutting
it down.

--Irate
Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?
/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:45 CST