Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish
From: Christopher Scharpf (ichthos at comcast.net)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 21:37:27 CDT

> My vote is for the Pumpkinseed sunfish. The "sunnie" that introduced most of
> us first to native fishes.
>
> Lee Harper
> Media, PA

After much thought, I have to agree with Lee. The pumpkinseed is colorful
(would look good on postage stamp), endemic to US, native or introduced to
every state and therefore potentially familiar to the largest number of
people, and a fish that's both fun to angle for and keep in the aquarium.
What could be more American than a kid catching some 'gills with his
beginner's rod? (And you gotta love those sneaker males!)

My runner up would be the "founding fish" itself, the American shad. But the
pumpkinseed is "sexier" and appeals to both anglers and aquarists.

Chris Scharpf

/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:18 CST