RE: NANFA-- Do your zoo a favor. Kill a cheetah!

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:18:12 -0500

When the American Public's first question concerning moral decisions is
"Well.. Will it affect how much crap I can own?" and it decidably values
anything MORE when someone else *doesn't* own it, or it's scarce.... Why
wouldn't they try that? This is something completely indefensible, yet
if they pulled it off with an argument like that... Why not?

If anything (I'm being a rare optomist here ;).... Maybe one of the
lawyers thought they'd check and see exactly how comfortably numb we
actually are.

On thru the bottleneck..... <groan>
-----Original Message-----
From: ichthos_at_charm.net
Sent: Wed 4/3/2002 3:31 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: NANFA-- Do your zoo a favor. Kill a cheetah!

Yesterday I forwarded to this list a Biblical rationale for
preserving
biodiversity. Earlier today Rob Carillio forwarded to me a news
item that
mentioned an unbelievably stupid rationale for just the
opposite.

According to the news items, the U.S. Navy was found guilty of
violating
the Migratory Bird Treaty Act by bombing and shelling a small
island in the
Pacific Ocean and killing protected birds. The Navy knew it was
killing the
birds, but incorrectly thought that federal agencies were
exempt. (They’re
not.)

And now for the unbelievably stupid part.

The Washington Legal Foundation, which supported the Navy in the
suit,
argued that environmentalists should support the Navy bombing
because
it makes bird species more rare, offering birdwatchers
additional
enjoyment when spotting live specimens!

If this logic were extended to, say, whales, then indiscriminant
whale
hunting would be a good thing because it would make actually
seeing a
whale even more enjoyable!

Do your zoo a favor. Kill a cheetah!

Do America a favor. Kill a bald eagle!

Are people in our government Think Tanks actually this stupid?
Or do they
think that *we're* that stupid to actually buy such a ludicrous
concept?

Chris Scharpf
Baltimore

------
/"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not
necessarily
/ reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native
Fishes
/ Association"
/ This is the discussion list of the North American Native
Fishes Association
/ nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help,
send the word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of
an email to
/ nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the
command to
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,