RE: NANFA-- Paddlefish?

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:04:52 -0400

Moon, I hope you were looking for a reaction from me on this one, since you
are going to get one anyway. Forgive me but I need to use your response
here to make a point. Paddlefish are very specialized feeders. It is not
that they are impossible to keep in captivity, it is just that they have
very special requirements. To answer the question, paddlefish are a CITES 2
animal, meaning they can still be used, however there needs to be the proper
paperwork attached. In other words, not just anyone can acquire a
paddlefish- nor should they! They are extremely long lived animals that
attain a very large size- over 5 ft and over 150 lbs. I personally do not
have a problem with people keeping them, as long as they know what they are
getting in to and make the proper investments, which is a significant
investment, to keep these animals in their adult stage or to have a definite
destination for the fish when the requirements can't be met. And if there
is no attempt to try to provide the proper accomodations, this is an animal
that will very soon perish in an aquarium, especially juveniles. The
offence that I have taken with Moon's email is first, the "I'll try it"
attitude, then the seemingly non-chalant attitude that donating it to a
public aquarium is an appropriate end to a hobbyist's use of the animal.
This is an attitude that in my world, is all too prevalent and unfortunately
results in the demise or release of far too many animals, most of them
exotic. Granted, a paddlefish is not the same as a pacu, alligator, or red
tail catfish; it may be more desireable to some public aquariums. Just
please don't think that if you (anyone) *can* keep the thing alive, that
"your" local public aquarium will take it. Make arrangements ahead of time
if nothing else. Responsibility on what one keeps in an aquarium is, in my
opinion, one of the things that makes an aquarist a good aquarist.

I know Moon that you are experienced, others, however, may not be. These
fish are very special and they should be treated so.

I'll step off my soap box now ;)

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo