Re: NANFA-- hydrogen peroxide

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:51:51 -0400

Oh boy... Here's why _not_ to send email when you're ready to puke and just
want to go to sleep and you'd probably be best served if you just did so.
Generally doesn't get well thought out :) Sorry if I was too forward about
my dissatisfaction with the purported causation of this "method".

In hunting around a bit on:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22barley+straw%22+hy
drogen+peroxide

I discovered a few folks who were less interested in the anecdote and more
interested in applying it directly, as you seem to want to do. The closest
quantification I saw was "1 Quart 3% H2O2 per 1000 gallons _daily_".

(Do you really want to get into this business at the size of systems you may
be dealing with? :)

However, lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.... The barley does
seem to work, if applied correctly. I think it's been illustrated fairly
consistently in parusing these links that barley straw could _not_ process
near enough H2O2 to be effective in the manner it's been claimed.

So how does it work? Back to that surface area thingie I keep getting at...
;)