NANFA-- hydrogen peroxide

Joe Anderson (the_submariner_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:46:38 +0000

<x-flowed>
Nick,
I've used it occassionally in my planted tanks as a last resort or annual
maintenance
it has worked on resilient brush algaes along a piece of drift wood i
have... the main idea as i see it from the Aquatic Plants Digest topics on
this are that it does in fact deprive the algae (and bacteria) of oxygen -
thus the bubbling... and it dies (or seems to.. most surface algae will grey
or disintigrate w/in a day or so)
it has not been suggested for film and or diatomous algae though such as
green water to my knowledge..
id suggest it only as a temporary method though.. since i tend to believe
that attacking the root problem of the algae is the best recourse..
(nutrient deficiencies or excesses)
but this does work to help a problem area get beat down quickly..

care is needed in the useage since it will super saturate the area around it
w/ oxygen you dont' want to OD your fish as some have done in past

a quick search of the APD archives at http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/
will give you more than enough info on this topic

good luck..

Joe Anderson

Longest Running Aquarium Club in Oklahoma - Since 1949!
Oklahoma City Aquarium Association
http://petsforum.com/okcaa/