Re: NANFA-- OT - Coelacanth

Richard J Rego (newzoo_at_juno.com)
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:43:43 -0500

Hi Guys,

I was at Harvard's Museum of Comparative Anatomy (MCZ) last week w/NANFA
member Brian Bastarache. We saw their preserved coelacanth in their
fossil room. It was preserved in a large glass container in the middle
of the room. The only thing (I wasn't that impressed about it either)
was that the preservative was very dark, almost like the tannic water you
see in certain rivers/marshlands, and it was propped up on a metal stand,
which seemed to be corroding badly in the preservative. I told Brian
that it would make more sense if it was on a plastic type of stand
(something that wouldn't be affected by the alcohol)
However it was AWESOME to stand near and look at something so unique and
rare. One fish that Andy B. would love to have in his collection!

Rick Rego

/------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not
> necessarily
> Association
> / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send
> the word
> / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an
> email to
> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command
> http://www.nanfa.org

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.