Rosy Red invasion was: Re: NANFA-- Check out Robyn's Rosy Red Page

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:19:55 -0800

Hello All,

One thing about rosy reds, or tuffies, or whatever you want to call them
that I feel doesn't get mentioned enough is how invasive that species can
be. Currently Klamath Lake in Oregon harbors more fathead minnows per
weight than any other fish species, which is a real cause for concern due to
the endemic natives that occur there. (See Jay DeLong's marvelous article a
few issues back). In addition Dan Logan, Amy Luedtke and I sampled Cedar
Creek in the West Hills of Portland, Oregon a few years back (on a record
cold December day), and found fathead minnows. Dan knew that they were
there, as he learned of a collection a year earlier in that creek. Our
collection yielded only natural colored individuals, yet the previous
collectors reported only the red form.

Since these minnows breed prolifically, and protect their eggs, they make
superior invaders.

Norm

A proud member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society
www.gpas.org
The North American Native Fishes Association: over
20 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes. Check it out at
www.nanfa.org