Re: NANFA-- extreme collecting II

William Hoppe (whoppe_at_leadhill.net)
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:06:39 -0600

Might be a Bogota suburban myth but I did recall hearing somewhere that
horses are very vulnerable to electric shock so I didnt flat out reject that
.The tree thing is way out there . He did seem to believe it and insisted
that if you saw nuts falling from a tree there was a big eel there. That was
as nothing compared to his driving all night thru the Andes mountains with
no lights . He said "if I see a car I turn on my lights so they know Im here
".I seem to remember something about big electric eels causing their own
blindness by their discharges .
Bill Hoppe
Yellville Arkansas
A gathering of fish heads --its smelly but fun.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Crail, Todd" <tcrail_at_northshores.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 10:19 PM
Subject: RE: NANFA-- extreme collecting II

> Now I'm having trouble with this one Bill (and I'm pretty sure that's why
you put the "?" in there :) Killing a horse, one would think, would not
serve any purpose as it would probably kill anything else in the water with
it, including itself. Now, I'm no expert on electric eels and their
tolerance of their kick... I'm assuming it's enough to work as a deterent to
predation, perhaps they use it as a feeding mechanism, but could anything
produce and handle that kind of shock? I kicked the main on the dorm in
college (yes, the primary from outside) and only ended up with two black
fingernails and a really really really sore arm (long story). That's gonna
take some serious amps to knock out a horse heh :)

> The tree is so way over the top I'm not even touching that one lol :)

had a name of winmail.dat]