Re: [Re: NANFA-- Plants]{D.WEED}

Katrina kruse (underseavisions_at_attglobal.net)
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:07:51 -0800

I haven't seen the show yet, but there are quite a few animals (fish and
invertebrates) that "mimic" their host -- but they don't go from species to
species as hosts. In Papua New Guinea I photographed small clingfish that mimiced
sea fans and crinoids in both color and shape. Transparent shrimp that are
commensal with anemones mimic colors and sometimes textures. Flounder have
chromataphores that allow them to change skin color for supposed camoflauge
purposes, and the Octopus dofleini (Giant Pacific Octopus) changes its skin
texture and color at will -- I completely am convinced it is an emotional response
and not all a "blend in" effort. Isn't the world interesting? katrina