Re: NANFA-- fish sting

Norman Edelen (normane_at_edelendoors.com)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:30:19 -0800

After a flood on Sauvie's Island near Portland Oregon, Dan Logan and I, and
a friend of Dan's named Tom, seined this small pool that was a remnant of
the flood. We could see a few fishes in the muddy water, but not clearly.
This pool was about 12' across and circular; it was just a low point in a
field that managed to hold some of the flood water a bit longer than the
field itself.

When the net was examined after the seine haul, we found perhaps 150
juvenile bullhead catfish, mostly yellows. By the time we got that net
clear of the cats that managed to tangle their spines into the mesh, my
hands were both swollen and painful. I must have been bleeding from a dozen
punctures. I never have been very good at handling these slippery wiggly
guys.

So, do I qualify as a K. N.?
Norm

A proud member of
The Greater Portland Aquarium Society
www.gpas.org
The North American Native Fishes Association: over
20 years of conservation efforts, public education, and
aquarium study of our native fishes. Check it out at
www.nanfa.org