Re: NANFA-- Nothing to do with chick flicks

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:39:04 -0500

Sorry you can't get help from the govt.
It's a shame these people can be such a pain at times. Best thing to do
is to go
to the public library or web research about the flora and fauna native
to your
state. There are tons of books and private organizations, nurseries specializing
in native plants - even the National Wildlife Federation has
publications about
creating backyard wildlife habitats - there's also a book I saw not long
ago in
Barnes & Noble - for some reason I cannot remember the title but the
theme sticks
in mind - "restoring the ecology of our backyards".

Ecological engineering is a bourgeoning field these days. Everything from
reforestation/ prairie restoration to the creation of artificial wetlands.
unfortunately this does not always jive with the radical environmental agenda
which sees the world in terms of fighting tooth and nail to save tiny fragments
of what once was as opposed to concentrating on the overall health of the
ecosystem. For better or worse the damage has been done. But natural
systems are
even more resiliant than we sometimes imagine. They can recover and with help
they can be brought back more quickly. Intelligently applied,
eco-engineering and
translocation of rare taxa to created refugia can be useful tools for conserving
biodiversity as well as making human environments more livable and humane.
That's an issue I would like to see be debated among environmentalists.
Not only
would it be the start of a contest for the soul of the movement, but it might
even be a winning ticket for mainstream politics as well!

As for the issue of government bashing, there once was a time when state and
federal agencies were highly regarded for their role in assisting land owners
with things like ponds and reforestation. From the perspective of our
time, a lot
of these programs were sometimes wrong-headed or detrimental to
biodiversity- but
in their day they were a step in the right direction. Today private
resources can
probably do better at the restoration of small parcels of land than governments.
Environmentalists ought to be more active at promoting these things at the
community scale - did we somehow forget about 'think globally- act
locally' while
we were busy lobbying the federal and state legislatures? And why can't the
states and feds be more helpful to people who come to them?
Isn't that what they're supposed to be there for?

Jeff