RE: NANFA-- Wanted: Info on the flier, Centrarchus macropterus

Hoover, Jan J WES (HOOVERJ_at_wes.army.mil)
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:28:34 -0600

Mark -

I'll check my references later but according to "Modes of Reproduction in
Fishes," there is at least one paper on their courtship and reproduction in
aquaria:

Heinrich, O. 1921. Centrarchus macropterus, seine Zucht und Pflege im
Zimmer- und Freilandbecken. Wochenschr. Aqua.-Terrarienk. 18(7): 109-110.

How's your German?

- Jan

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark B
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2000 1:02 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Cc: nfc_at_actwin.com
Subject: NANFA-- Wanted: Info on the flier, Centrarchus macropterus

I recently obtained several fliers, Centrarchus macropterus. Really cool
little guys. Actually, some appear to be gals who are gravid. The
males(?) appear to have white edging on the dorsal and anal fins and are
slimmer when viewed from above (not gravid). Has anyone ever seen anything
about the breeding behavior and nesting requirements of this species? I
would really appreciate any clues, even if it's just, "I think I might have
read something once..."

Thanks!

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA <))><