Re: NANFA-- 135 gal. Freshwater Tank

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:08:09 -0500

OK, thanks for everyone's opinion to date. I knew that asking this general
question would probably get more answers than responders...

Martin raises a good point about light below. The lights in the hoods I have
are indeed actinics, with each hood holding a pair of the following: Osram
36 W, 2900 lumen Daylight; and Power Compact 36 W, 460 nm Blue. with (I
think?) more lumens. Like I said before, I've never fooled with this type of
gear but I know there's always extensive debate on lights in various 'zines.
Martin said he didn't think actinics would provide enough phytoreactive
light. But I would think that a source of 460 nm light would be exactly
right, since that's the range where blue shades into green, and I know that
various aquatic photosynthetic pigments have reaction peaks in that range.
Any opinions based on this more exact info?

And I should have mentioned that the river environment I'm aiming at is for
steady flow, say about 3 or 4 knots, rather than real current like, say, in
the Tennessee which more typically has a 12 knot current locally. So the
H.O.T. magnum gives me adequate flow for my purposes to replicate the area
of Sipsey Fork I'm inspired by. Ultimately I'm more worried about
biofiltration.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A