Re: NANFA-- Collecting in Ohio-Mudminnows?

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:34:42 -0500

You need to come up to Toledo Mike (yes, this is an open invitation :)

The ditches of the western Oak Openings (formerly huge spanses of treeless
wet prairie) are loaded with them (mudminnows). We've gotten them when
there's ice (you just stand on the ice and they shoot out on top of it and
then you grab em when the water starts going back off the ice) when there
isn't ice, and um, well I've found them in barely a trickle of water all
wrapped in algae late September :) Dipnets, seines... Whatever floats your
boat. You stomp in vegetation and they appear in your snare. You will find
as many as you need.

Oh and once it warms up... It get's nuts. I've done up to 13 species from
one ditch (spawning orangethroats included!) in a trip (mid June). They've
kind of become the surrogate headwater, I think, and I'm going to really
explore them this year. Grass pickerel, least darters... It will become
really neat once we get the Secor dam down on the Ottawa River/Tenmile Creek
segment. I wouldn't be suprised to find spawning pike and perch.

I'm hoping to sample longear sunfish, spotted sucker and western creek
chubsuckers in the same ditches this year with some more extensive efforts
during the spawn season. I guess you'd call that my "goal".

Anyway... it's the same place where this attrocity is comitted once the
rains come... http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/misc/OhMy1.jpg Bastid even
irrigates the field in the summer. Uh... Don't try and grow corn on shallow
sand over clay huh?

That is a VERY deep ditch btw... We won't be even going near it when it's
this high. That water is HAULING.