Re: NANFA-- Atlantic Salmon

BILL HOPPE (zzzzzzbill_at_yahoo.com)
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 07:43:36 -0700 (PDT)

Im no expert on this but it seems to me there was a
recent report --maybe on a science type list -- saying
farm raised fish were higher in some pollution content
than wild caught fish because of the foods they are
fed. Carp and such are high in pollutants but cheep
source of protein . Using other food sources might
increase price so much as to be prohibitive and
pressure will build on wild species .
--- Moontanman_at_aol.com wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> coelacanth_at_btinternet.com writes:
>
> << Just out of interest, many people over here,
> including myself now totally
> avoid eating farmed Salmo salar, as medical
> guidelines indicate that due to
> pesticide levels present more than one portion per
> week (whatever a 'portion
> is) could be potentially damaging.
> It is recommended that children should not eat
> farmed salmon at all, the
> levels are so high!
> >>
> the levels in farmed salmon are high? I was under
> the impression that farmed
> fish were safer and virtually pesticide free. At
> least that's what they say
> about farmed catfish.
>
> Moon
> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this
> list do not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association"
> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes Association
> / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or
> get help, send the word
> / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not
> subject) of an email to
> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version,
> send the command to
> / For more information about NANFA, visit our web
> page, http://www.nanfa.org

=====
Bill Hoppe
Yellville Arkansas