Re: NANFA-- asian carp

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 20:55:27 -0400

<x-flowed>
Most triploid fishes are sterile most of the time. But some very low number
either won't truly be triploid, or else they can successfully produce viable
gametes through some cellular error like meiotic nondisjunction (in short,
they can produce eggs or sperms with the typical haploid complement of
chromosomes). The chances of some kind of screw up with such fish always
struck me as too large to be worth the risk of introducing such a
potentially bad exotic. I'm sure some kind of literature exists on the
question, both pro and con, but I'm not familiar with it.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Tom Watson" <onefish2fish_at_attbi.com>
>To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
>Subject: Re: NANFA-- asian carp
>Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:43:04 -0700
>
>The State of Washington Fish and Wildlife people use "triploid grass carp"
>that are supposed to be sterile. They beat chemicals for weed control.
</x-flowed>