Re: NANFA-- Orange spotted Sunfish not eating

John Bongiovanni (bongi_at_cox-internet.com)
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:03:16 -0500

<x-flowed>
Bruce,
thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot. I usually feed the fish
in the evening in full light (for my enjoyment!). I try feeding in the
morning prior to the lights going on. Ambient light will penetrate the
tank but whould be dim enough.

David,

I use defrosted blood worms to feed my fish these days since so many
require "live" foods. I have discovered where my madtoms are hiding, in
the back of the tank in the tangled web of java moss, Hygrophilia and
Rotalla walachii roots. I use a long set of forceps and unleash the
worms just above their "groto" and let them drift down. Usually I have
released bloodworms at the front of the tank keeping the other fish busy.

John

David Strickler wrote:

>John,
> You've got me interested...how do you get food down to your bottom feeders?
>

>John Bongiovanni wrote:
>
>>I have a pair of Orangespotted Sunfish I collected a couple weekends
>>back with Rob Denkaus et. al. during the Texas Nanfa/NFC weekend. I've
>>been dropping blood worms, tubifex, and flake food into the 55 gal tank
>>but I haven't really seen the O Sunfish eating. They are much less
>>agressive eaters than the other mid and toplevel fish in the tank. I
>>have an assortment of shiners, fundulus, platies (a compromise with the
>>Mrs.) and a too big Siamese Algae eater. They will take food into their
>>mouths and then spit it out shortly. Are they typically timid fish and
>>with all the activity around them, they won't complete their meal?
>>
>>BTW I do have to get pretty creatve to make sure that blood worms get to
>>the bottom for the darters and madtoms.
>>
>>John
>>/"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not necessarily
>>/ reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American Native Fishes
>>/ Association"
>>/ This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association
>>/ nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
>>/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email to
>>/ nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
>>/ nanfa-digest-request_at_aquaria.net instead.
>>/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org
>/ Association"
>/ This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes Association
>/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org
</x-flowed>