Re: NANFA-- Convention

Ipchay61-in-aol.com
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:36:11 EDT

Bill,
Thanks for posting such a complimentary post about the convention. Those
C.variegatus from that location are really nice with the salmony fins and blue
back. They're such cool fish to watch. I went to Charleston with Casper,
Mark
Otnes, my Steph and me in Casper's van, Chris & Stephanie Scharpf (and
Scharpfling), Ranger & Mrs Bob, Laura and Traci. We visited the SC Aquarium
first
and had a great time. We then went to Cypress Gardens. Only Laura and Traci
did any collecting but Laura did get her a few F.chrysotus that were just
gorgeous. Everyone else just toured the place and were all impressed. The
Scharpfs and Cullers decided to stay in Charleston after this while the rest
of us
hit the bluefin killie where Dustin visited Friday. Laura wanted some goodei
so
we stopped for a while. On the way there, however, we were enroute and saw a
large cottonmouth coiled up on the road. Casper straddled it so to not hit
it but we saw it strike-in-the van as we went over. We didn't hit it though,
or should I say, it didn't hit us. Unfortunately, the car behind us didn't
see
it in time and nailed it. We turned around to go back to it and it was,
indeed, very dead. Very pretty snake though! Traci picked it up by the tail
(3
1/2 to 4 ft long) and drug it off to the opposite side of the road and we got
ready to leave. As I climbed in the van, I noticed something-in-the edge of
the woods, less than 10 ft away. It was a gator of about 7 ft in length,
right
beside where we were parked and walked by even closer to. We took some
pictures and headed on. Had a great day!

Thanks for coming,

Chip

In a message dated 6/22/2004 4:31:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bloomin-in-indy.net writes:

> This was the second NANFA Convention that I have attended. I really
> enjoyed the colecting and the speakers. It was nice to see old friends
> and make some new ones. The collecting trip was great and naturally I
> brought back more fish than i had planned on (not a bad thing mind you).
> The Cyprinodon variegatus are actually starting to get into breeding
> colors. One male has actually picked his territory and defending it
> against all comers. The rest of the fish are all doing fine also. My
> son, Shawn, was kind of disappointed that we didn't see any alligators
>-in-the one collecting site. I was glad we didn't us northern folks
> aren't use to overgrown lizards looking-in-us as a side dish for supper.
> :-) Thanks again for the great convention and I am looking forward to
> next year. I know someone has already suggested it but have you thought
> about doing it again next year? Just thinking out loud.
>
> Sincerely,
> Bill Flowers &family
/ nanfa-in-aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the word
/ nanfa-request-in-aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command to
/ nanfa-digest-request-in-aquaria.net instead.