Re: NANFA-- fish id

Michael Canady (canady1538_at_msn.com)
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 19:31:44 -0800

The polypterus delhezi is hard to find. I have been looking for
them for over six months all over washington and idaho for a store
that can order them or find them. I have had no luck at all. I did find
a website that had two for sale, at around 15 bucks each. However, after
I called and talked to them, it sounded like they were selling a senegalus
as an "armoured bichir". Ill let you know if I ever can find one, I have been
told
that the usuall time a distributor has them is in the summer months.
-luke

----- Original Message -----
From: R. W. Wolff
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 10:02 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- fish id

I have not heard of the subspecie of senegulus. In my references I cannot
find a fish that closely resembles senegulus , but with a round tail. This
said, there is a couple of good photographs in one book . " Jurassic Fishes,
by Huruto Kodera and others" of weeksi where one has a pointed and the other
round. These are pictures though, and often pictures can show something that
is not there.

Polypterus are awesome fish. The African bowfin I dubbed them. Where do you
get delhezi? I have only seen senegulus ( and senegulus labeled palmas) and
ornatipinnus.

Ray
-