Re: NANFA-- Dipnets: Deep vs. Shallow

Stan Perkins (stanperkins_at_academicplanet.com)
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:05:04 -0600

I have several dip nets one is a heavy duty square framed net about
1'X2'X2'. I made the frame out of heavy aluminum wire about one half inch in
diameter. Ace, 24 lb, 1/8" mesh netting was used to creat the bag and a
heavy canvas sleeve used to protect the rim, bottoms and sides of the net. I
use a long oak dowel to make the handle. (A take-off of the old Carolina
Biological collecting net!) This monster will cut through any thing and
survive - but too heavy to carry long distances. For that, I use a modified
commercial dip net. Long aluminum handle and squared edge make this a light
weight general purpose net. I ditched the original for some more of the the
Delta netting and stitched a canvas covering for the rim of the net.This net
is about 2.5'X2'X2'. I have lost fast specimens from the first net but not
many from this one. But the aluminum handle is not good for the long haul
and not near long enough. I have my eye on a huge aluminun framed net
designed for offshore boats! Pricey though! For plankton or food sweeping,
I took an old fiberglass boat pole and added an aluminum net frame. The net
frame comes off the pole for easy access to changes of net types. I have
three basic types of nets: one plankton net with collecting jar, one
superfine daphnia net, and one 1/16" Delta mesh net . Net frame size is
about 2'X2' and pole length is 16'. Very light and awkward to use but handy.
Anyone in the Houston area want to go collecting? I have spring break
starting on the 13 th of March will be out and about. Give me an email if
interested.

Stan Perkins