Re: NANFA-- Shad

Mysteryman (bestfish_at_alaweb.com)
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:22:25 -0800

Todd Crail wrote:

> I only have experience with gizzard shad (Dorosoma compendium) but I doubt
> the others are any more hardy, given what I've read about them used as bait.
>
> It seems they die when you look at 'em.
>
> If you do happen to get one through acclimitization, let us know what you
> did :)

Hmmm.. It would seem that you and I have had quite different
experiences. I didn't do anything special that I recall. I kept my
Threadfins for about two years. I did lose a few of them early on, maybe
3, but once they figured out that they could eat the stuff I offered
them they were home free. They are planktivores in the wild, so you'll
need to offer them a lot of tiny live food at first, like daphnia. Did I
use daphnia..? I think I did...it's been awhile.