Re: NANFA-- Re: TRADING POST

B.G. Granier (bgkajun_at_worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:55:04 -0000

Hi all,

I'd like to put in my two cents worth here....

Let's just say that a quadaped and a biped habitats' were endangered,
polluted, and otherwise un-inhabitable by the above species. They would just
use their four or two legs, to move to more suitable habitats.

Except for a few mobile species of fish, like the Clarius catfish, what
chance would the less -mobile fish have at moving their bodies long
distances and surviving the dessication and predation from all of the
Earth's other creatures? None, of course. Fish just can't grow legs and walk
to another habitat!

Let's also say that ten aquarists all agreed to maintain the species that
was unable to survive in their natural habitat, and ten aquarists kept the
fish from that original biotype until it was restored to a pristine
(hopefully) condition and all ten populations from ten aquarists were
restored into their native habitat.

Given that all ten aquarist's stock may have evolved into different
colorations, sizes and quantities; once they are re-introduced into their
native habitat, then the forces of Mother Nature will weed out the sick and
weak and re-introduce the strenght of the gene-pool that was maintained in
the interim of aquarium breeding and the original fish should re-appear, if
no other genes were accidental introduced.....Correct?

Poecilidae are extremely capable of producing variable offspring, but their
genes are passed on from generation to generation. For example, if every
guppy breeder in the world placed their stock into one gigantic
pond then, the end result would most likely look like the original "wild"
guppy! The albino's and blacks would be the first to be weeded out by
natural selection and next would be the truly gaudy color variations like
reds, yellows, blues, etc! ( the birds would really love some color in their
diets!)

Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Just a train of thought, (and I don't have the train of thought too often,
hahaha)......

Regards to all!

BG