Re: NANFA-- RE: Mississippi Museum

archimed_at_netdoor.com
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:08:18 -0500

On 27 Oct 2000, at 19:39, B.G. Granier wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Martin Moore and Roy Whitfield from Mississippi met yours truly at Angie,
> Louisiana for an enjoyable day of collecting native species.

Correction, that was Roy Weitzell. Many of you will remember him
from the museum tour. We needed some welaka for his
blackwater stream display. I for one had no idea that shadow bass
were found in the same waters as bluenose shiners!

> A brief list of species is as follows:
>
> Fundulus notti
> Fundulus olivaceus
> Pteronotropis welaka
> Pteronotropis signipinnis
> Elassoma zonatum
> Heterandria formosa
> Fundulus chrysotus
> Madtoms
> Shadow Bass
> Darters
> Sharpfin Chubsuckers
> Cherryfin shiners

Don't forget the pickerels. The darters were E. swaini and E.
nigrofasciata (?) Don't know what the madtom was. Mike and
Terry (both from the museum as well) also did a collection that day
(they were looking for crystal darters). No crystal darters but they
did get a bunch of lampreys. Cool!

Very few signipinnis at the dead hog site - that's the first time I
have been disappointed there.

Prost,

Martin
------
It makes me mad when I go to all the trouble of having Marta cook up about
a hundred drumsticks, and the guy at the Marineland says, "You can't throw
chicken to the dolphins. They eat fish." Sure they eat fish, if that's all
you give them. Man, wise up.