Re: NANFA-- puzzling blackfin darter

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Sun, 08 Oct 2000 12:33:55 EDT

Jay, you beat me to it, I had just scanned this photo before I read your
message... OK, this is pretty much the fish I have with the major exception
that the first dorsal fin is red on the top half, rather than black as in
the photo. The only other possibility I can offer is that my fish is a
Johnny Darter, Eth. nigrum, which has been reported from the Paint Rock
River system but not the Flint. Johnny Darters also seem to be a variable
species; would some of them have a red first dorsal? That is the trait that
keeps hanging me up.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Darterville, AL