Re: NANFA-- L ommata egg?

Mark (mbinkley_at_columbus.rr.com)
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:25:35 -0400

At 4:17 PM -0400 10/7/00, Charles Nunziata wrote:
>What I find really fascinating is that many years ago there was a photo
>published on the cover of an aquarium magazine, I don't recall which, that
>showed either a Lucania or Leptolucania with an egg hanging from the strand.
>As I recall, this photo was discredited as either an optical illusion, or
>staged. I think I have a reference somewhere and will try to find it.
>However, a direct observation by a NANFA member would open up the discussion
>again, and dispel the previous notion that the photo was not valid.

So, other than this photo, it sounds like no one is aware of any
documentation of "hanging" eggs in Leptolucania. Thanks, Jan, for the
citation on Lucania goodei. Let us know if anyone comes across an account
of Leptolucania ommata having hanging eggs or filaments. Meanwhile, fish
keepers keep your eyes open and take notes!

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA <))><
mbinkley_at_columbus.rr.com