RE: NANFA-- Current Literature and a question

Sajjad Lateef (sajjad_at_acm.org)
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:08:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS wrote:

> "Now for the question...
> "hyporheic habitat". I am not familiar with the terminology. Can
> someone please clarify?"
>

> Hyporheic refers to wetted area beneath the surface of the bottom
> (substrate) of the stream (which I know sounds oxymoronic). Its the tiny
> interstitial spaces of the sand and gravel inhabited by rotifers, copepods,
> gastrotrichs, and water mites. Benthic biologists collectively refer to
> these really microscopic organisms as "meiofauna" and can sample them in
> some habitats with soda straws.

Are these the critters that "sand-suckers" (like Lake Chubsuckers) feed
on when they are picking up sand/fine-gravel in their mouths?

Sajjad

> The language of "bottom-pickers" is esoteric and it changes over time. Not
> too many years ago, the plant-and-animal felt that covered submersed solid
> objects was called "aufwuchs." Now the terms periphyton and epifauna (and
> specific variants) are more popular.

Sajjad Lateef   email: sajjad <at> acm.org
Chicago, IL     web: http://www.lateef.org/sajjad/