Re: NANFA-- Keeping White Suckers alive

Brian Bastarache (bast_at_gis.net)
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 11:17:02 -0400

I kept a white sucker alive for two years (+/-). At the time the tank was
stocked with a chain pickerel, a small mouth bass, a couple of redbreasted
sunfish...I think that's it... The sucker would eat anything that hit the
bottom and even food that was a couple inches off the bottom. I feed
crushed trout chow and AquaYums(a variety of meaty foods frozen into small
cubes).

I think the important difference is that in my tank most of the other fish
were not directly competing with the sucker for food...plenty hit the
bottom. I'm having that problem now with some fish in my esturine tank.
The mummichogs are quickly and aggressively devoring all the food before
the 4spine sticklebacks and naked gobies get much. The stickels have the
hardest time. I am going to reduce the mummichog population to just a few
and see how the dynamic changes.

Brian

At 10:10 AM 10/12/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a White Sucker (Catostomus commersoni) in a community tank of native
>fish. I never see the fish eat. The other fish are voracious, so I'm
>doubting there's anything left over for the sucker. Any ideas on how to
>ensure my sucker is getting a good diet? Any flake food put in the tank is
>immediately eaten by the blacknose daces & the sunfish. Very little of the
>brine shrimp I put in the tank makes it to the bottom. The sucker "looks"
>healthy, but so did the last one before it died.
>
>I have some pictures of the tank and it's contents at this URL
>http://altaitech.no-ip.com/Fish/Fish.html. Please be patient, it's a
>redirection to site I host at home via my cable ISP (hence port 80 is
>blocked).
>
>/harry

---