Re: NANFA-- Brine shrimp

Klaus Schoening (sege7_at_earthlink.net)
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 12:33:42 -0700

there is a ton of information available on the net concerning raising brineshrimp
to maturity. It can be done in a ten gallon thought that is a little small and
the biggest problem you would have is maintaining acceptable water quality. You
would have to watch the ammonia level very closely and do several water changes to
raise the shrimp in any quantity. Go to www.brineshrimpdirect.com and read their
faq on brine shrimp. There are other articles available under the same links
section there. In order to make brineshrimp nutritious enough to feed your fish
you should gut load them about an hour before feeding to your fish. Several
algaes are available which enrich the brineshrimp and hence your fish when they
eat them. Brine Shrimp Direct also sells a nutritious algae that you keep in the
freezer .... I have experience with tetraselmis and nanochloropsis .... both work
great. Or you can attempt to culture your own.

You can get a brineshrimp culture kit with everything you need at the site below
http://www.lfscultures.com/

And highly recommended is the following site, Sachs System Aquaculure, he sells
marine micro-algae, various types of daphnia and culture kits. The culturing
information is worth the look alone.
http://users.southeast.net/biz/ssa/