Re: NANFA-- Will be in Florida. Where to Collect?

Jeff Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 03:34:21 -0400

There are lot's of good lakes below Orlando going toward St Cloud. Lotsa
gambusia, Heterandra pygmy sunfish, Golden & Lined Topminnows in the acidic
lakes. More neutral ones have Sailfin mollies.

The Econolahatchee River in Orlando - Mike & I caught Sailfin Shiners , and
something that we were not sure what they were - possibly Ironcolor or
Taillight shiners (now I'm leaning toward red-eye chubs) and a few Dusky
Shiners. If the water is low it should be clear, it ought to be clear and
easy to collect- if it is high then scoop a dipnet right in the areas of
fast current - the shiners seem to like to hang out there (or else they are
attracted to the disturbance). During high water the Econ will be deep and
coffee colored. Also look for Dollar and Spotted Sunfish in the quiet weedy
backwaters.

Down near Ft Meyers we saw spotted sunfish and lots of exotics - mouth
brooding whatchamacallits!

West of Orlando on I think it was Rt 41 - is the Withlacoochee River -
tannic but more neutral - we found lots of Bluefin Killies, Flags , Golden
Ears , Sailfin Mollies , the usual Gambusia & Hets as well as a Pirate Perch
and young Lake Chubsucker!

Try any little swamp or ditch down there. Near where Mike used to live in
Orlando we found an awesome swamp near a powerline swath that had lots of
Pygmy Sunfish, a few Golden Ears and Flags (believe it or not Jordanella in
acid 6.0 to 6.2 water with scant hardness!) and we also caught a slate grey
Claris batrachius (walking Catfish) about 2 inches long. We didn't keep that
because they are illegal to transport.
Good Luck down there. You ought to get together with Robert Rice or that guy
with the Jurassic Fishes website.
Watch out for the gators and snakes
& fire ants!

Jeff