Re: NANFA-- Rules/Regs (was WI Collecting)

Richard J Rego (newzoo_at_juno.com)
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 00:41:33 -0500

Hello fellow NANFAN's

One thing that I found funny, was that when I went down to see Andy in
FL, he said that you cannot collect in the Everglades (That makes sense
to me, it is a national park). He asked once, and they said no nets,
seines, etc... However, you can legally angle for fish. Now this is
what doesn't make sense to me....You cant drag a net 4 or 5 feet through
the water to catch a fish, but every spot that can be fished from
(bridges, roadside sloughs, etc) have trees that are adorned with miles
of monofilament line, a variety of bobbers, tons of Styrofoam "earthworm
bait" containers floating in the water and stuck along the shore, and a
menagerie of other garbage. Now to boot, they don't even allow you to
take introduced, non-native species. Every place you look is nothing but
Mayan cichlids (C. uropthalmus) thousands of them. We stopped at places
and saw NO native fishes, only cichlids. But again, remember this is a
national park, you cant take them, your only allowed to decorate the
trees with your garbage. OH I just figured it out...they make money off
of fishing licenses, not collecting permits. When was the last time you
saw a seine or a dip net in the tree?

Just my note on rules/regs that don't make logical sense,

Rick Rego
MA/New England NANFA

/------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not
> necessarily
> Association
> / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send
> the word
> / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an
> email to
> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command
> http://www.nanfa.org

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.