NANFA-- September 21 sampling

Gay (ghemsath_at_att.net)
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:45:15 -0800

Hello

Rob what is the "impending control plan regarding feral hogs" ?

Gay
Alaska
Ghemsath_at_att.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf Of
Denkhaus, Robert
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 8:25 AM
To: NANFA (E-mail)
Subject: NANFA-- September 21 sampling

Yesterday, I took 21 members of the 2002 class of the Cross Timbers Chapter
of
the Texas Master Naturalists out on the wetland/aquatic systems field trip.
As usual, we visited a number of sites around the Fort Worth Nature Center &
Refuge, which contains a long stretch of the West Fork of the Trinity River,
and a number of backwaters, marshes, and sloughs.
<snip>

We started by examining a currently dry vernal pond site to look at wetland
soil types and dominant wetland vegetation. We then moved to the Lotus
Marsh
where we checked out emergent and submergent vegetation and discussed the
avian and mammalian residents of aquatic systems. This led to a discussion
regarding feral hogs since the Lotus Marsh is a hotbed of hog activity and
our
impending control plan just hit the local media last week.