FW: NANFA-- Public Aquarium closing

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 14:42:15 -0700

This is a response from a friend of mine who is the curator of the aquarium.
It is good news!

-----Original Message-----
From: Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 11:07 AM
To: Nicholas J Zarlinga
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Public Aquarium closing

Hello Nick,

Up until last Thursday, we were planning to close our facility to the
public.

Due to overwhelming support from the Dallas community, the Aquarium will be
remaining open to the public. In fact, we will be moving forward with our
accreditation process and starting the design plan for our future renovation
and expansion.

While the Dallas Zoo is our managing entity, we are accredited separately
from the Dallas Zoo due to separate admission fees, attendance tabulation
and the fact we are a remote facility from the zoo (6 miles away).

While this has not been an easy time for staff, we are excited about our
plans to move forward and look forward to renewed participation to a larger
variety of conservation and research projects.

Fort Worth did close its Aquarium due to a very aging and deteriorating
structure. We on the other hand continue to make improvements to our
facility. I think its fairly understandable that many Aquarium and Zoo
facilities are undergoing financial hardship --- we are no different.

Hope you are well and I look forward to see you at next year's RAW.

All the best

Brian Potvin
Aquarium Curator
Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park