RE: NANFA-L-- What Happens When Fish Suck?

Peter Unmack (peter.lists-in-)
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:57:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Irate Mormon wrote:

> We already know what bass eat. Now we can predict whether a prey item of
> size x moving on velocity vector y at distance z is likely be sucked into a
> bass's mouth. WeeHaaa! And I helped pay for this...

I didn't really read the article, but by trying to understand what you
just said above can really be helpful in understanding the underlying
changes in a fishes bones, muscles and general morphology that occur, and
what the changes are in these characteristics that allow fishes to feed
better. Put that into an evolutionary perspective (ie put those traits
onto a phylogeny to map the character changes) and you can look at how
these traits evolved in various species, and whether there were similar
pathways to achieving the same feeding ability, or if different fish
achieved the same feeding ability differently (ie, by changing different
bones and/or muscles etc). That can go along way towards understanding
how the evolution of these traits have influenced biodiversity. For
instance, in several groups of fishes feeding diversification is thought
to be really important in their radiations, eg, cichlids, labrid fishes.
Knowing the mechanics behind feeding in these groups relative to other
fishes would really help in trying to explain why they diversified.
The evolution of improved traits relative to feeding has also been
immensely important in the diversification of fishes in general. Again,
making connections between function, morphology, and then the genes that
control this, and what changes have occurred are fundamental to better
understanding all of this. And those same genes occur in us as well as
most/all other vertebrates. And that could probably be useful to know if
you want to better understand how jaws are made in different vertebrages.

Tootles
Peter Unmack
Provo River, Utah