Re: NANFA-L-- Longnose and Spotted gar pictures

Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:12:44 -0400

Dan,

Gar have a very simple view of life once they get out of early juvenile
stages where they'll eat each other.... You're either food or your not. I
guess that stands in the early juvenile stages too hehheh. They make great
co-habitants with sunfishes and other species that won't easily fit in their
mouth, including gape limiting shiners etc like some of the bigger Luxilus.

The tricky part is they obtain their target length very quickly, and so you
should have 24" for them to turn around. You can probably get by with an
18" depth (front to back... it doesn't matter how tall or how long) but 24"
would be better. This is _still_ going to cause nose sores (from banging
into the glass) down the road however.

Best would be a large round stock tub or pond. I don't know what kind of
housing or spousal situation you have... But if I were in TX... I'd have a
gar and bowfin pond (ie the space to put one). I'd figure out the spouse
second, and the housing third. ;)

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com