Re: NANFA-L-- Follow-Up On Alabama Turtle Poaching Arrests

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:46:21 -0400

My apologies for posting the sentencing story without a full rehash of the
earlier story... The perps were licensed turtle hunters who collected and
sold several hundred listed species as well as 20,000-plus legal species
such as snappers. Federal agents caught them selling listed species in a
sting operation. So the relatively light sentences came out of Federal
proceedings, not the state of Alabama (Which in truth has little enforcement
capability of its relatively weak laws, trust me).

In my own experience along the Tennessee, mussel poachers have been a more
visible problem receiving more attention from law enforcement. I'm glad that
anyone collecting and dealing listed turtle species is also receiving
attention. The major river systems around here have been so altered by dams,
etc., that I'm impressed that as many species are still hanging on as can be
found among both mussels and turtles. My own experience doing mussel survey
work in the river showed that there are large numbers of mussels in absolute
terms-in-our primary survey site. But almost 70% of them were a single
species, and of the remaining 25 species we found three were federally
listed; one species, the pink mucket, made up about 4% of our collection,
and two others species were represented by one and three individuals,
respectively. The percentage of listed turtles of the total number collected
and sold by the convicted turtle collecters in the story is roughly
comparable.

So I dunno, the turtle story appears to be totally credible. As always, your
mileage may vary.

--Bruce Stallsmith
right by the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A