Re: NANFA-L-- OT: Box Turtle Reintroduction Advice

Thomas J. Near (tnear-in-utk.edu)
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:03:26 -0400

--Apple-Mail-1--761313847

Hello Todd,
You can feed the box turtle night crawlers, greens, and melons. =20
However, it may not eat for a couple of weeks after capture.

I doubt the claim about dying if moved out of the home range. I would=20=

move it to the wooded area you suggested.

Best,
Tom Near

On Jun 20, 2005,-in-10:48 AM, Crail, Todd wrote:

> Hi gang, sorry to use the list for herp stuff... But we've got a=20
> little gal here that needs a hand.=A0
> =A0
> My parents neighbor found a female box turtle (plastron is 5")=A0in=20
> their yard yesterday.=A0 As=A0"suburbia" for as long as it is in their=20=

> neighborhood, I imagine someone brought it home and then dumped it.=A0=20=

> Everyone sprays the heck out of their lawns and so forth, the nearest=20=

> woods are 1/4 mile away along the Swan Creek cooridoor.=A0 In any =
case..=20
> It was surrounded by dogs and kids and well (they were going to take=20=

> it inside, but I used my Fish Guy=A0Mind Trick=A0gah)... If anything, =
she=20
> really lost her way. Or.. I made a mistake moving her.=A0 That's=20
> possible too=A0 :)
> =A0
> I asked=A0the preserve manager=A0about putting=A0her in-in-Kitty =
Todd.=A0 He=20
> said that they die when moved from their home range.=A0 Anyone know=20
> anything about this?=A0 Given that we don't know its home range, what=20=

> would you (or someone who works with turtles) suggest?=A0 To a =
preserve=20
> or back to the wooded corridoor?
> =A0
> It might also be good to have a herper give it a looky before it gets=20=

> placed anywhere for disease.=A0 I've got an APB out to my local herper=20=

> buddies=A0at the Zoo.=A0
> =A0
> Also.. What should I feed her in the meantime?=A0 I've got=20
> nightcrawlers, can get slugs and=A0isopods from the woodlot next to my=20=

> apartment.=A0 Berries?=A0 Any greens?=A0
> =A0
> If there were any suggestions for care or procedure in the meantime, I=20=

> wanted to act as quickly as possible, thus the post.=A0
> =A0
> Thanks=A0in advance for any help!
> =A0
> Todd
> The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
> It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
> http://www.farmertodd.com

Assistant Professor
Dept. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
569 Dabney Hall