RE: NANFA-L-- OT: Box Turtle Reintroduction Advice

Irate Mormon (archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net)
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:04:55 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C5757F.826F0F20

Todd, I grew up in an Atlanta suburb, and it wasn't unusual to find box
turtles in our yards. They don't seem to mind the 'burbs. I would
guess the neighbors can leave it alone (put it back where they found it)
and it will be OK. Dogs can't really hurt 'em, and while kids may pick
one up and watch it for a while, the parents always say "let the poor
thing go". They are not really easy to spot anyway unless you are right
on top of them- there are probably a lot more turtles in peoples' yards
than one might think.

--

Martin

-----Original Message----- From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org [owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org] On Behalf Of Crail, Todd Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 9:48 AM To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org Subject: NANFA-L-- OT: Box Turtle Reintroduction Advice

Hi gang, sorry to use the list for herp stuff... But we've got a little gal here that needs a hand.

My parents neighbor found a female box turtle (plastron is 5") in their yard yesterday. As "suburbia" for as long as it is in their neighborhood, I imagine someone brought it home and then dumped it. Everyone sprays the heck out of their lawns and so forth, the nearest woods are 1/4 mile away along the Swan Creek cooridoor. In any case.. It was surrounded by dogs and kids and well (they were going to take it inside, but I used my Fish Guy Mind Trick gah)... If anything, she really lost her way. Or.. I made a mistake moving her. That's possible too :)

I asked the preserve manager about putting her in-in-Kitty Todd. He said that they die when moved from their home range. Anyone know anything about this? Given that we don't know its home range, what would you (or someone who works with turtles) suggest? To a preserve or back to the wooded corridoor?

It might also be good to have a herper give it a looky before it gets placed anywhere for disease. I've got an APB out to my local herper buddies-in-the Zoo.

Also.. What should I feed her in the meantime? I've got nightcrawlers, can get slugs and isopods from the woodlot next to my apartment. Berries? Any greens?

If there were any suggestions for care or procedure in the meantime, I wanted to act as quickly as possible, thus the post.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Todd

The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH

http://www.farmertodd.com

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C5757F.826F0F20 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

[...]

It might also be good to = have a herper give it a looky before it gets placed anywhere for disease.  = I've got an APB out to my local herper buddies at the Zoo.  =

Also.. What should I feed = her in the meantime?  I've got nightcrawlers, can get slugs and isopods = from the woodlot next to my apartment.  Berries?  Any greens?  =

If there were any = suggestions for care or procedure in the meantime, I wanted to act as quickly as = possible, thus the post.

Thanks in advance for = any help!

Todd

The Muddy Maumee Madness, = Toledo, OH

It's never too late to have = a happy childhood.

/----------------------------------------------------------------------- / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about NANFA, / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are / consistent with the guidelines as per / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and archive at / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml