Re: NANFA-L-- Re: NC natives online

Patrick Rose (pncwd-in-picusnet.com)
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 21:43:52 -0500

well so far I have read several different discriptions of what this fish is
supposed to look like. according to the book that has been mentioned they
are the same fish as the banded killi except the body is a little bit
longer.

I have also found but not yet confirmed that they can be taken for a bait
source, therefore allowing them to be kept in an aquarium. So I am proposing
a fishing/collecting trip to Lake Phelps. I have enough room for a couple of
distant travelers to stay the night (5 bedroom house with an additional
sleeper sofa to boot). I also have access locations to the Lake as my father
has a bee yard not far from it. I was thinking sometime in mid june to mid
july. Why not make it a swimming trip as well you can almost walk all the
way across the lake in some spots. I think the deepest spot is only like 15
ft but the avarage is 4 ft. other fish that might be encountered are cats,
bass, perches, sunfish, and an array of minnows. I am not sure of any
darters but they would be a nice addition. that lake has a history of high
mercury levels and is a lake made of sand and peat bottom. so i would be
expecting very low ph's and soft soft water. this might oppose a problem for
a home aquarium to keep such conditions with ease, but if water can be kept
at 4.8 ph for breeding betta macs then this should be easy to do for the
lake fish.

If any one is interested let me know and I will try to get this all set up
so that everyone is accomidated the best they can be. If no one is
interested then I will try to get some extras to send out to members that
are interested, my main purpose of getting these is to do a write up on them
for future reference, so that we can add them back and get their population
back up. This particular lake is special to me for a number of reasons and
now that I have enough know how, I would like to see its inhabitants
increase to normal levels. i just wish i had tha ability to get rid of the
high mercury levels that seem to creep up during the summer months.