RE: NANFA-L-- Roanoke darters

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 19:13:12 -0500

Yep, they were from the Eno as well. Erika viewed a large Percinid while
sitting on a rock in a pool and it had a conspicuous redband in the dorsal, so
we figured they were all piedmont darter. I'll have to make the change.

I didn't realize they stayed this small. That's great someone has bred them.
I should have just foregone my policy of not taking females until after the
spawn, and brought some for Bob to work with. I really enjoyed visiting with
Erika's friends and that whole area, so we'll be back down there soon enough
and will take orders this time. I'm not kidding about them being in the
riffles by the load. It was incredible.

Okay, off to the water change shock job. <sigh> But I've only had to
euthenize two fish-in-this point since getting home (lost a 6 pack of rosyside
dace the day of collection for some reason), and I had Notropids in coolers
for 6 days! Yeah... Wait till you see these pinewoods shiners. I got yer
rummy nose tetras.... :)

Todd

________________________________

From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org on behalf of Gerald Pottern
Sent: Wed 3/15/2006 6:29 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: NANFA-L-- Roanoke darters

Todd-- Wait there's more !! You forgot to mention
that: 1) max size 3" they're comfy in a 15 gal tank
(try that with tangerines - no, actually dont) and 2)
they can handle temps up to 85 F,-in-least
temporarily. The Eno River can get into high 80's for
a few weeks during really hot weather.

Pete Mang said he's bred them (he was-in-our Raleigh
Aquar conference 2 weeks ago), but i didnt get any
further details.

BTW - that fish you had labelled as piedmont darter
with the rectangular blotches was probably P.nevisense
chainback darter, if it was from the Neuse or Tar.
--- Gerald

From: "Crail, Todd" <tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu>
Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Re: NC natives online

>> I will tell you what... These Roanoke darters are
giving it a run for most colorful Percina, now that
they're firing back up as they were chowing
down.They are right in the running with gilts and
tangerines. And they have something the other two
don't... Blue. Like midnight blue, cast off
with thesame oranges and yellows you see on tangerine
and gilts. I can't think ofanother NA fish that has
this blue. Rainbows and orangethroats come close when
they're all fired up, but not nearly as much of it,
nor is it as beautifully blended earth tones that make
Percina such a subtly ...
http://mail.yahoo.com