Re: NANFA-L-- what is this plant?

Scott Davis (unclescott-in-prodigy.net)
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:51:04 -0800 (PST)

The invasive plant list out of Florida, lists
Hygrophila polysperma. They include some photos.
http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/hypopic.html

To the dismay of some California aquarists, mere
possession of H. polysperma there is a no-no these
days.

If your plants are growing out of the tank and
developing woody shoots, it may be the larger Temple
Plant or Giant Hygro, Hygrophila corymbosa (Nomaphila
stricta in the older books). Once had to take garden
sheers to cut it out of the shop light fixture it had
invaded. It also is considered an invasive elsewhere
than in my fishroom.

There is also a Hygro native to Florida, Lake
Hygrophila, Hygrophila costata,
[Hygrophila lacustris]

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/hygcos.html

Speaking of invasives, isnt the San Marcos also home
to a lot of cichlids and pleco type catfish? Ah! Mark
Binkley posted what he found there in 1999.

http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/nanfanov00/0144.html

All the best!
Scott