Re: NANFA-L-- FISH ID

Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:15:55 -0500

Mike,

Without seeing a picture, I couldn't give an ID with any certainty, although
this has to be the best description I've seen yet on this list of an unknown
fish :)

This is probably your best bet in pictures for widely distributed
Mississippi River species: http://www.wiscfish.org/fishid/

You can also follow up with the online version of Fishes of Wisconsin:
http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/becker.html

Download the viewer for Fishes of Wisconsin. This is a $100 book all
online. It's worth the little bit of time and always comes through in a
bind when I can't grab one of my books, but have a computer near by.

Hope you can solve your mystery. That's one heck of a fish. Any time I've
hooked into good sized buffalo... The first thing in my mind is "I am NOT in
control of this situation" lol. Like tying into a freight train.

Todd