Re: RE: NANFA-L-- Chicken Estrogen? or? ... Mummy's my Father

Subject: Re: RE: NANFA-L-- Chicken Estrogen? or? ... Mummy's my Father
dlmcneely at lunet.edu
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 15:19:22 CDT

Actually, copyright law allows use of articles for on the spot educational processes. So, I can read a report in a current journal, photocopy it and pass it out in class if awaiting for copyright permission delays the educational process so that it loses value, or if it is not available in a form I could normally legally reproduce because I have prior permission.

That is a one time provision, and if I want my students to routinely read reports from that journal, then I am supposed to provide for them to have access to a subscription (as in a library), or obtain copies for which the copyright has been paid.

Don't know for sure if that provision applies in this situation, but it seems that it might. But if you rely on me for legal advice, you might be found guilty! And it would be illegal for me to collect a fee, so you know what my advice is worth!

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely at lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"