Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- America's national fish
dlmcneely at lunet.edu
Date: Wed Sep 08 2004 - 15:28:27 CDT

The pumpkinseed introduced those who grew up in the NE quadrant of the country to native fishes. The rest of us had to get along on whatever we had native to our regions. That's one reason I suggested a "generic" approach, to give people in all regions of the country a stake.

The first native fishes I knew were red shiners, _Dionda episcopa_ and _D. diaboli_ (both called potbellies by my father), pupfishes, Rio Grande cichlids, and gray redhorse, among others. The first time I ever snorkled, at 5 years old, I was watching Mexican tetras ("rippers" to my father, I think because he found it hard to keep them and minnows in the same bait bucket). Black bullheads were panfish. I even remember fishing, with tiny hook and bread for bait, for goldfish, which we took home and put in our backyard pond. Where did I grow up? I must have been deprived, to have missed out on the pumpkinseeds ;=).

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely at lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"